Skincare and makeup products contain chemicals and oils. If you pour them down the toilet or sink, it can cause clogs and pollute the sewage system and even the marine ecosystem.
Before recycling skincare and makeup product containers, we should use paper or absorbent cloth to wipe away any remaining residue on them, and then place the containers in the recycling bin. The paper or cloth with residue should be thrown in the trash. Lipsticks, lip glosses, and nail polishes should be cleaned thoroughly before recycling the packaging.
Many makeup products, such as eyeshadows, are packaged in a metal pan that is glued to a plastic outer container. We can use a spatula to gently pry the metal pan from the outer container and recycle them separately.
"I understand now. If I really want to protect the environment, I need to do more than just recycling my trash. I need to be mindful and do it properly. Only by doing things right can we truly make the world a better place," Kelly said as she cut up an old shirt into small cloth pieces.
"Reducing waste at the source is equally important. If we consume less, we can produce less waste," I said as I found two more bags of Kelly's hidden treasures.
In addition to makeup products, medicines should not be poured down the toilet or sink. Medicines may contain antibiotics, and when they enter the sewage treatment plant with the wastewater, the treatment process may not completely remove all the antibiotics, resulting in them entering the ocean and causing antibiotic-resistant microorganisms to appear in the marine ecosystem.
I want to discover more:
- Reduce plastic use in our daily lives to decrease the amount of plastic waste that ends up entangling our oceans
>> From Plastic Waste to "Ocean Plastic": How Can We Respond?
- Even if it can’t be used on the skin, it can still be put to good use on objects.
>>What should I do with expired cosmetics at home?
- Explore which brands take responsibility for recycling their own beauty product containers.
>> Protect the Earth with Small Acts: Beauty Product Containers Can Also Be Recycled!
- Maximize the benefits of fragmented time and quickly understand the choices of eco-refill packaging on the market.
>> The Evolution of Cosmetic Eco-Refill Packaging
- In addition to recycling, creating unique handmade items for daily use can also serve as a reminder of our own uniqueness!
>>Homemade Candles, Planters, and Lip Balm: Creative Uses for Your Empty Makeup
- With so many different types of materials used in cosmetics packaging, how can we properly sort and recycle them?
>>Embrace Sustainable Beauty: Love the Earth and Enhance Your Beauty
Last update: 2023/07/01
Your knowledge matters, share with us