The Body Shop, which has always been based on environmental activism, launched its Refill Station in 2019 and added it to 400 stores worldwide in 2022, allowing customers to use their reusable aluminum bottles and refill them repeatedly, achieving zero waste. The Body Shop believes that...「We want to empower more and more of you to reuse packaging rather than throw it away, so we’re making the most sustainable choice easy, convenient and accessible. By embracing the circular economy, we’re helping yu eliminate waste before it hits the bathroom shelf. And together, each of our small acts can make a big difference. Switch to refill and collectively we could save over 25 tons of plastic per year. That’s the equivalent weight of 21 MINI coopers. And refilling isn’t just good for the planet – it’s good for your wallet too, because you get more bang for your buck every time you fill up.」
（Image and reference source：https://www.thebodyshop.com）
"I read an article online the other day that said putting food on black plastic trays can make it look brighter and more attractive. Indeed, this sashimi looks fresh and delicious, and it melts in your mouth," Kelly said with a satisfied expression.
"So you ate it all and didn't leave me a single piece," my stomach growled. "Black plastic is difficult to identify and sort by optical sensors in waste sorting, so black plastic products cannot be automatically sorted by machines. Currently, only 9% of black plastic can be recycled, and the remaining 91% ends up in landfills."
In daily life, many people unconsciously use a lot of plastic products. For example, the sashimi Kelly bought at the supermarket included a black plastic tray, cling wrap, plastic leaves and flowers for decoration, white foam sheets for supporting the sashimi, a bag for the Japanese mustard and soy sauce, and a transparent bag for disposable chopsticks. Kelly finished the sashimi in a few minutes, but these discarded plastic packages will take hundreds of years to decompose. In 1997, Captain Moore discovered the world's largest garbage patch in the Pacific Ocean between California and Hawaii. According to estimates in 2018, the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, which is filled with ocean plastics, covers an area close to 1,600,000 square kilometers, which is 1,446 times the size of Hong Kong.
"I didn't realize that color affects plastic recycling efficiency. I'll reduce my takeout orders in the future. Let's lead by example and go to a sushi restaurant to enjoy ourselves," foodie Kelly said as she pulled me out the door.
If we pay attention in our daily lives, we can effectively reduce waste. Making plastic reduction a part of our lifestyle and working together with COLOOP can help make the earth a more beautiful place for everyone. Let's all do our part to reduce plastic waste and protect our planet!
I want to discover more:
- Proper methods for cleaning and discarding cosmetics
>> Discarding Unnecessary Cosmetic Products Through the Practice of Minimalism
- Even if it can’t be used on the skin, it can still be put to good use on objects.
>>What should I do with expired cosmetics at home?
- Explore which brands take responsibility for recycling their own beauty product containers.
>> Protect the Earth with Small Acts: Beauty Product Containers Can Also Be Recycled!
- Maximize the benefits of fragmented time and quickly understand the choices of eco-refill packaging on the market.
>> The Evolution of Cosmetic Eco-Refill Packaging
- In addition to recycling, creating unique handmade items for daily use can also serve as a reminder of our own uniqueness!
>>Homemade Candles, Planters, and Lip Balm: Creative Uses for Your Empty Makeup
- With so many different types of materials used in cosmetics packaging, how can we properly sort and recycle them?
>>Embrace Sustainable Beauty: Love the Earth and Enhance Your Beauty
Last update: 2022/07/01
Your knowledge matters, share with us